Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Confessions of a School Board Member

This topic should be a lot of posts (and might be), but today I want to focus on the voice of the people.  I saw on Facebook that Trey Hollingsworh put out a survey to find out if people really wanted a southern wall built and if it should be a priority.  At first I thought, good for you, Trey!  But then I thought of the people who are most likely to voice their opinions.

The thing is, the loudest voice isn't always to majority, but it definitely gets heard.  I am an elected official and always try to vote how those who put me in my seat want me to vote.  I am lucky; I hear from a lot of people.  And I have tried to stay true to those people.  But some might say, what if they don't know what they want?

One of my favorite quotes is by Henry Ford and goes something like, If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me faster horses.  My job is a lot like that, being in technology.  We don't know what we don't know and often don't know what we need.

I think, however, to vote one way because you think it's what's best for the community, even though it goes against the majority thought, is not right.  Even if you think you are doing it for the right reasons.  If you think the public isn't informed enough to make a good decision, then, well, why not? What is it that you know that they can't know?  Don't get me wrong, ignorance is wonderful bliss, but most of us holding a public seat were put there to be the voice of the people, not the reason, not the brain, not even the heart.  So if you aren't hearing people and then voting, you can't be a voice.  And if you think those out there aren't educated enough to make the "right" choice, you better get out there and get to teaching.

Keeping talking, guys. I'm still listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment